Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Winter Night's Entertainment

Back in college I was allowed, with faculty sponsorship and approval, to design my own degree program. It ended up being a fairly decent study of still and motion picture photography, with a little TV production thrown in for kicks.
I enjoyed my cinema classes, particularly film history. I quickly became enamored of a long-dead genre, film noir. I liked the immediacy of noir, with the gritty realism. It was usually the hero (the word used in its loosest sense: all characters in these films are flawed) against the world, sometimes literally, with no indication of whom or what to trust.
"D.O.A." is a watershed of the genre. It has an opening sequence (one long tracking shot) that one BBC reviewer called "perhaps one of cinema's most innovative opening sequences" (but that was before "Touch of Evil"). And the score by Dmitri Tiomkin is brilliant. So enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/doa_1949


 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment