Monday, March 26, 2012

A New Perspective

I'm one of those people who have always marked "Organ Donor" on my driver's license. I can think of no nobler legacy than enabling a fellow human to continue to live, or have a better life,. It costs nothing (we're all going to die sometime) and is perhaps the grandest of gestures.
For the first time, tho, I feel ambivalent about this due to one compelling reason: my donated organ could end up in someone like Dick Cheney. If I thought my death enabled the Dark Lord to continue his avaricious ways, I'd have my body cremated and my ashes mixed with salt.

1 comment:

  1. You know, now that you mention it, I've never really considered the "downside" to organ donation. You're right... What if some asshole like Cheney or Rick Perry ended up with one of my lungs or a heart? I'd be responsible for prolonging the life of pure evil!
    I might have to rethink this whole deal... where's my organ donor card?

    ReplyDelete